Thursday, February 7, 2008

Storing and Preserving Coins

I am not a coin collector. I do buy coins occasionally, if I am at an auction, and feel that the bidding price is low. I have a wooden box on my closet shelf and the coins are tossed in there. Since I am writing about preserving collectible, some research would be necessary.
One of my good friends collects coins. I arranged to have dinner with him and glean his expertise. This was his advice:
Clean the coins, first with a small amount of mild detergent and distilled water. Holding the coin around the edges, dip the coin until all residue is removed. Do not use an abrasive cloth or brush. Rinse the coin with distilled water, removing all detergent. Let it stand dry on a soft cotton cloth. After the coin is dry, mix an equal part of alcohol and acetone and re-rinse the coin in this solution. After complete drying, the coin is now ready to place into a flip, a polyester coin pocket.
When my friend ask me about my coins and how they were stored, He rolled his eyes and I had to buy dinner!!! My project this afternoon is to preserve my coins. Who knows? One might help pay for my grandson's college.

No comments: