Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Removing The Yellow Stains From Vintage Tableclothes


I have tried all the commercial stain removers on my vintage linens. The yellow stains have been laundered, dried and really have been set in stone with age. Because I resell, stains are not acceptable, and almost every vintage, cotton tablecloth has been stained!!!
Someone, somewhere, has given me a working formula that does wonders on this vintage textiles. I would not use it on Grandma's vintage lace tablecloth, or something dear to my heart. It is only the last resort, but it does work. It will remove most stains and brighten the colors. The tablecloth can be printed, most of the time it will leave the colors.
I do not measure anything, so this formula will be a guesstimate for me. If you take 1/4 cup of automatic, granulated dish washing detergent, 1/2 cup of bleach, and mix with very hot water, it creates a miracle stain remover. I use my wash tub, or bathtub, and use enough hot water to cover the tablecloths completely. I usually throw in a few handkerchiefs, pillowcases, or aprons.
Sometimes, the linens have been weakened by insects, or the stain has eaten the fabric. A few times, I do get holes after this process. They are then cutters, but were not any good to me stained.

No comments: